It's important to slowly transition your cat to NomNomNow during week one and give the bacteria in their digestive tract time to adjust to breaking down the new food.
We know cats can be finicky eaters, so we put together a few tips and tricks to help ensure a smooth transition:
- Start with a small spoonful: Begin by offering a little bit of NomNomNow as a treat. If your cat likes it right off the bat, then slowly increase the amount of NomNomNow as you decrease the amount of previous food at every meal.
- Try a separate dish: Place a small amount of NomNomNow in a separate dish next to their previous food. That way, your cat will begin to associate the smell of the new food with meal time. Then begin to slowly increase the amount of new food as you decrease the amount of previous food at every meal.
- Give ’em tough love: Offer only NomNomNow and withhold their previous food for a meal or two. Be sure your cat doesn’t go more than 24 hours without eating. If they won’t take to the new food, feed them their previous food for a meal. But at the next meal, try again—remember, kitties can be very stubborn.
- Pretend to eat it: Sounds silly, but for families who sometimes pretending to eat it can help. This tactic is especially good for cats who like to beg or steal food at meal time. Our food is high-quality, human-grade, and safe for people to taste so don't be worried if you get tempted!
- Warm it up: Warming up the new food can help entice your cat to try it—the smellier the better! Just place an unopened meal pack in a bowl of warm water for 20 to 30 seconds or pour the meal into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for about 10 - 15 seconds.
- Try our Flavor Flakes: Some cats need a little extra encouragement, and that's ok! We include a sample of our Flavor Flakes in every first order so trying sprinkling just a little bit on top of their meals (but not too much, think of it like salt in your own food).